Friday, June 27, 2014

Hotel Holmes

Post number 13 (which I consider good luck) finds me doing the blog's first (unofficial) review. I use the term unofficial because I am reviewing a video game (yes, a video game) that I have never tried, just seen.

Titled Hotel Holmes, the game was created by second year students at Teesside University (which is located in the United Kingdom in case you were wondering). The number of creators totaled 20 (10 artists and 10 designers) and this team (together known as the JourneyMan Project) had a mere 4 months to make a 3 level game.

I saw a good portion of Hotel Holmes on YouTube and have to give the genius creators some big merits. What these 20 people created in four months rivals what I have seen hundreds take years to create. They even did extensive research on the World's Fair Hotel, studying blueprints and records, so the virtual version would be as close to accurate as possible. And the fastest way to win points with me is to be concerned with the historical accuracy. (Every JourneyMan Project member gets ONE MILLION AWESOME POINTS). Aside from that though, Hotel Holmes was chosen as the best JourneyMan game of the year and was awarded with footage being presented at the University of Teesside booth at Eurogamer 2013.

This does not look like a basic school assignment. This looks like a real game that can be marketed and sold. As of now, there are no plans for this to happen. Believe me, I emailed one of the creators to check. But if the game ever did get released to the public, I would be first in line to purchase one. Yes, I would fly all the way to the UK to get the first game (and then blog about it). But onward to the good stuff.

Hotel Holmes consists of three levels that take place in various locations around the Castle (the basement, the attic, and the hotel). That might be the actual level order but don't quote me on it. The main (and only playable character) is a Priest (I cannot remember his name at the moment) who has been trapped in the hotel by Holmes. To escape, he must explore to building, completing puzzles and rescuing victims, all while evading the clutches of Holmes.

It's an interesting premise that in turn makes for an interesting game. But don't just take my word for it. Check out the action for yourself right here:

 
 
 
If the game was expanded, I think it would be awesome to play as Holmes or Benjamin Pitezel. You could even meet real life characters like Frank Geyer or Ned Conner in the game.
 
Personally, I would want to be Minnie Williams and subdue Holmes so I could take over the Castle myself. Maybe even open it as a real hotel and amass a nice fortune for myself. Female power!  
 
Until next time.
 
XOXO, Kate
 
And a shout out to Jonathan Cliff, the kind creator who answered my email. You can check out his website here:
 

No comments:

Post a Comment