Saturday, April 26, 2014

I'm Supposed to Read This?

Since there have been no posts about the Chicago World's Fair, which was stationed about a mile away from Holmes and his Castle/Hotel, I figured I would make one.

There is one professor, who totally rocks by the way, that I have taken four classes with in two years. (And you know who you are if you're reading this). He's really fascinated with the World's Fair/White City so I brought in some opening day newspapers to show him. (In case you were wondering, the Chicago World's Fair opened on May 1, 1893).

What is fascinating about the papers is that the word are set over sketches. That is really hard to describe so I'm just going to post a few pictures.

 

I didn't know that they printed on picture paper as far back as 1893. I would have guessed that to be a more modern practice.

But here is the real question. How am I supposed to read that VERY SMALL TEXT over the picture? Seriously, how are you supposed to read that? Please enlighten me because just looking at the page is giving me a headache. My guess is that the piece was more for enjoyment (and to show how cool Chicago papers were) than providing information.

Until I can find some glasses to read with.

XOXO, Kate

No comments:

Post a Comment