Saturday, March 8, 2014

Benjamin and Carrie Pitezel

Dear Universe,

It's P-I-T-E-Z-E-L not P-I-E-T-Z-E-L. Please get your shit together and print one CORRECT spelling.

Signed,

Aggravated historian

Victory! I have finally memorized the correct spelling of Pitezel (and just in time for my Pitezel post).

I haven't had much time to update this blog due to having one hell of a stressful week. But now that spring break has finally arrived I can get back to posting here and on my American Civil War blog. Speaking of, you can find my Down Yonder Diary here:


Anyway, I am currently working on a longer post about the childhood life of H.H. Holmes in his hometown of Gilmanton, New Hampshire. But since that post is not finished at the moment and I want to get a new post up, here is a short one about some new pictures I found of Benjamin and Carrie Pitezel.

Benjamin (who has his picture featured on the header) was Holmes' assistant and one of his final victims. Holmes was eventually tried and executed for the murder of Benjamin.

One thing that you will quickly learn about me, I am a romantic. I love the relationship of Carrie and Benjamin (or Benny as he was affectionately called by his wife). The more you read about them, the more you see how dedicated and devoted they were to each other, even when times were tough. Their love story was so caring and romantic, one of the reasons their separation was so tragic and heartbreaking. Why, Holmes? Why did you destroy the beauty?

There are not many images of the Pitezel family. In those days, unless you had money (which the Pitezel family did not) you didn't take many photos because it was still very expensive. The most common image seen of Carrie is this one taken in her later years.


There are two common images of Benjamin, usually shown together to compare his features before and after he became a compulsive drinker and a worn, beat up shadow of his former self.

 


However, I stumbled upon these two images the other day. I'm not sure when Benjamin's photo was taken but the one of Carrie shows her much younger and I've never seen another that does.



I hope they have found each other again. 

Until next time.

XOXO, Kate

No comments:

Post a Comment